Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Coconut Pineapple Swirl Crumbcake


Can we talk kitchen failures?
Just last week I wanted to bring a cake to a get together with friends. I was a bit short on time, but everything went well and I baked the cake, removed it from the oven, let it cool down for a few minutes and then put it in a bag and took it with me. And somehow, the cake liquified on the way to my friend. The tester that I inserted came out clean, but when I tried to cut it into slices, the center pour out like in a molten chocolate cake. Exept, it wasnt. We ate some of the crust and had to throw the rest away. And I still don't know why and how on earth this happend. Any ideas?

What is the last thing that went wrong in your kitchen? Please share your stories with me.


But this weeks cake turned out like I imagined it to be. I adapted a recipe I found on the Post Punk Kitchen, Raspberry Jam Swirl Crumbcake. I brought pineapple jam home from my holidays in Spain, and wanted to used it in this cake. I added some coconut to it, made it non-vegan (oops, always happens to me) with the addition of butter in the crumbs, and oh they are good. They are not too sweet, the top is crumbly and crunchy and the tropical flavour just make me feel relaxed, like during a holiday. And they were really easy to make, too. No failures here.



Coconut Pineapple Swirl Crumbcake
Note: If you can't find pineapple jam, I guess you could use canned (or fresh) pineapple. Just puree it in a food processor until it is to your liking. My jam is rather chunky, I love it. Perhaps then add some sugar to the pineapple puree.

3/4 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup/110g oil (like canola oil)
1/3 cup/60g sugar
1 cup/120g all purpose flour
~1/3 cup/30g shredded coconut
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

~5 tbsp pineapple jam

for the topping:
1/2 cup/60g all purpose flour
1/3 cup/30g shredded coconut
1/3 cup/60g brown sugar
1/4 cup/60g butter

Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Prepare a dish to bake this cake in, a brownie pan would be best. I used a springform pan.

Mix the coconut milk with the oil. Mix the dry ingriedients for the cake in another bowl, then add the wet ingredients.
Prepare the topping: Just measure out all the ingredients into one mixing bowl, and cut the butter into a few pieces. Rub the mixture between your hands, until it is mostly large crumbs. I guess you could do this in a mixer, but just make sure not to make the crumbs to small.
Pour the batter in the prepared pan, spoon the jam on top of the batter and swirl it in with a knife. Sprinkle the topping on top and press it down a bit.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a tester inserted comes out clean.

4 comments :

  1. Woah, never heard of pineapple jam but that sounds awesome. Maybe I need to use that as an excuse to travel over to Spain... Anyway, very smart of you to pair it with coconut, because this sounds (and looks) great.

    What type of cake was it that turned liquid? A chocolate one? That does sound weird. When it comes to kitchen disasters, I think it just comes down to you win some, you lose some--let's just hope it's more win than lose. I think my last (major!) disaster was a chocolate roulade I made for Christmas. Whole thing collapsed and looked about as pretty as a pile of mud. We did still all eat it though, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a recipe from Joy the Baker for a Lemon and Matcha Marbled Cake. I probably did take it out a bit too early, but still, I don't really understand it.
      We once made a roulade in school (home ec,you would probably call it) and it turned out well, but I remember them being a bit fussy to make.

      Delete
  2. Wow, a coconut-loaded cake. Sounds great, Lena. I don't think I've ever seen pineapple jam either.

    My last kitchen disaster was with a sweet potato muffin recipe. You're only supposed to fill every other muffin cup in the tin so that the muffin tops have space to spread, but I only have one muffin tin and got lazy and filled every cup. Luckily, the muffins didn't meld into one giant muffin, but they never quite baked through, even with like an extra 20 minutes of baking. They were still underdone in the middle, and raw whole-wheat flour tastes really gross! Learned my lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have this problem with cookies, I want them all done at once, and then they end up sticking to each other or as one giant cookie.
      For the jam: I found this recipe: http://chopchopatoz.blogspot.com/2008/09/pineapple-jam.html
      Sounds great, but I really think unsweetend pineapple could be used, too. I'll give it a try and let you know

      Delete