Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Baked Grains with Apple



I always seem to be looking for an easy option for breakfast. During all my life until now I had about the same breakfast, every single day.
Two or three slices of  bread, butter, topped with jam or honey. That is what my family eats for breakfast, and it has been what I ate even when I moved out.
I have written before about how I find that this is not really a filling breakfast, an hour or two later I feel hungry again and so I am on the look for breakfast option that don't require lots of time in the morning. These baked grains can be made the day before and reheated in the morning or eaten cold. They make also a great portable breakfast or lunch. And they can help you use up all of these grains that I keep buying.




Baked Grains with Apple
Adapted from the recipe for baked oatmeal in Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Every Day.

Note: I premixed a few grains that all take about the same time to cook to make a bowl of "oatmeal" for breakfast, baked oatmeal or the like. I used equal parts buckwheat, millet, quinoa, amaranth, oats. But use whatever you have on hand.

100g mixed grains
100g oats
50g whole-wheat flour
2 tsp honey
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
250ml milk (feel free to use any diary-free milk you might have on hand)
1 tbsp butter
1 apple, chopped into small pieces
handfull dried blueberries (or other dried fruit)
small handfull almonds

Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Prepare a dish to bake the grains in. I used a spring form so that resulting bars can be easily removed. Melt the butter in the baking dish while the oven preheats, be careful that the form does not leak (like mine did).
Mix the grains, oats, flour, honey,cinnamon, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk together milk and egg. Pour the liquids to the grain mixture and incorporate. Add about half of the dried blueberries.
Scatter half of the apple on the bottom of the baking dish, then pour batter on top. Scatter the rest of the apples and blueberries on top. Press down with a fork. Scatter the almonds over the top and press down with a fork.
Bake for 25 minutes or until the mixture is set and the almonds on top nicely browned.


No comments :

Post a Comment