Thursday, May 3, 2012

Lemony Asparagus and Spinach Crepes


This is a quick post for a rather quick meal. I found myself in a bit of a hurry the last week or two. Or rather, I put myself int a bit of stress by not doing much during the first part of semester. Duh! I really should know by now, this is not my first semester. But every time I do the same, relaxing and enjoying my free time in the first part and then stressing about getting everything done on time.
 Thats when I crave simple food, simple but still delicious. Because I really need to step away from cooking all day in this time of the semester. Simple might mean different things to you, but making these crepes and filling them with simple ingredients was just the thing I needed. This is not the quickest meal around, but they were easy enough to make and reconnected me with something real.





Lemony Asparagus and Spinach Crepes

for the crepes batter:
2 heaping tbsp quinoa flour
1 heaping tbsp chickpea flour
1,5 heaping tbsp whole wheat flour
1 egg
a pinch of salt
about 1/2 cup water, the batter should have the consistency of heavy cream

for the filling
a few leaves spinach
3 stalks asparagus
some cheese, I use about a thumb sized piece of gruyere, shaved with the peeler I used for the asparagus
1-2 tbsp sour cream
zest of 1/4 lemon
salt and pepper to taste, plus a pinch of paprika

Prepare the batter. Add the flour in a mixing bowl, add the salt, then whisk in the egg. Slowly add water until the batter has the consistency of heavy cream. Set aside to rest until you prepare the other ingredients.
Wash the spinach and asparagus and pat dry. Lay the asparagus flat on a chopping board, hold it with you left hand on the bottom part (the part you would usually cut off, leave it on here) and start cutting ribbons off the asparagus. There is a small part that you wont get as thin as the rest, use it anyway.
Using the same peeler, cut thin slices off the cheese, too.
In a small bowl mix the sour cream with the lemon zest and spices. Set aside

Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat with a small amount of oil. I try to cover the whole skillet in this oil using a pastry brush. Add half the batter into the skillet once it is hot and move it in circular motion to distribute the batter evenly in the skillet. Don't worry if you don't end with perfectly looking crepes, they will still taste fine. Turn when the edges of the crepes start to lift off the surface of the skillet and cook on the other side for about a minute. Set aside on a plate and repeat for the rest of the batter. Once you turn the last crepes, add half of the spinach leaves, the slices of cheese, the asparagus and the sour cream to one half of the crepe. Fold the other half over the filling and press down a little bit until it doesnt flip back anymore. Cook until the cheese starts to melt and the spinach has wilted a bit, maybe a minute or two.
Eat the prepared crepe and only after prepare the second, because you want them to be nice and hot, not already cold again.

Serves 1, but can easily be doubled or tripled.

1 comment :

  1. Haha, my dinner last night almost looked the exact same--just sub out that crepe for an omelette. :) It's funny, as we're nearing the end of the semester I find myself wanting to cook or bake even more as a (the best) form of procrastination. Very, very bad! But the oven is so alluring... anyway, best of luck to you with finishing up the year, Lena!

    ReplyDelete