Thursday, February 14, 2013

Love, Right Now: Flowers


Reading Joy's Real Life Blog Tips today felt soo good, this post came at the perfect time. I have felt kind of discouraged with this place on the web lately. I sometimes feel like I cant keep up, like there are so many great people out there doing great stuff that there is little point in me writing blog posts that lack in the writing AND the photography department.
And then I always thought I needed to do more, be more structured and professional when structures of all kinds make me want to run into my room, hide under a blanket and/or surf the web for the rest of the day.
Yesterday evening I had the great epiphany that since this is my space here, I can actually do what I want. Like talk about flowers.

Let's talk about flowers.
I never realized I had a thing for flowers until a friend's new girlfriend opened her own flowershop and I started going there to get to know her and support her. This was in November, and since then I bought myself flowers almost weekly.
Flowers have such an amazing ability to make a room come to life. They make me smile, standing there on my kitchen table, whenever I come home and walk into this room.
Obviously, I think, I didnt make this myself.

Here are a few things I have noticed in getting into this new habit that might be helpful if you actually have no clue about flowers but want to start buying them for yourself. And I absolutely think you should!
♥ To be safe, stay monochromatic. While I think mixing orange, white and rosa poppies worked, a bouquet of white, yellow and red tulips just looks all over the place and cheap.
♥ Even if you can't afford to buy a whole arranged bouquet of flowers, invest in some greenery/branches that contrast with the delicate flowers. 6 poppies alone in a vase look sad and alone, with their huge heads on their long naked stems. Throw in a few cherry branches and you've added texture and a flower more when they start to bloom.

♥ Don't throw out the the branches/greenery with the flowers. Just buy a few flowers to replace the old ones, take everything out of the vase, rinse the stems off, maybe snip and inch off, too. Discard anything that looks like it's rotting or starting to mould. Arrange the new flowers together with what is left.
♥ Don't worry too much about the arranging. I try to keep with buying odd numbers of flowers, but then I tell you to buy 6 poppies because really it is not that important. And once home you might decide to pick one flower out to make a mini arrangement for another room. I have also found that I can work better with the flowers in a vase than in my hand (as I saw my friend doing it). Just do what comes naturally to you and try things out. The flowers wont keep forever no matter how you arrange them, so stop worrying and enjoy them.
♥ Try something new. And learn about new flowers and their names. I want to buy some ranunculus the next time I go out to buy flowers.
♥ Try to stay away from roses. I like roses, too, and I have some in this pictures, too. But they can feel a bit boring, too.
And now go out and buy yourself some flowers. And not just because it is Valentine's day. Actually, you might want to wait until tomorrow or the weekend and stay away from the flowershops today. But do buy yourself some flowers, you deserve it!

9 comments :

  1. Joy's blog post was perfect timing for me too! :)

    I love flowers. I used to co-own a flower shop in Texas and I miss having easy availability to fresh cut flowers. Lucky you for having a friend in the biz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to spring/summer when I can actually go and cut fresh flowers from those "cut our own flowers" patches that some farmers here have.
      Thanks for stopping by, Kara.

      Delete
  2. Lena, this was a great post. You should do what you want here!

    I'm definitely interested in how your arrangements continue to develop. Personally, I'm not much of a flower person. I just don't quite get the aesthetics of flower arrangements. When I started gardening last year, I started occasionally cutting just one marigold or one Mexican sunflower and putting it in a small jam jar for the table. A baby step. That's about as much as I can appreciate, but I'm working on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I appreciate flowers because I dont have a garden but would love to have one?

      Delete
    2. It's just something about arrangements that I don't understand. Actual plants, I get. Arrangements always just look too busy to me.

      Delete
  3. Lena, I loved this post. Sometimes it's very easy to forget that there are no "rules" when it comes to blogs, especially when there are such distinct and seemingly well-established trends. It's something I think I need to remind myself of more often. It is kind of fun, though, to create your own distinct space--even if it doesn't quite compare with some of the great big blogs.

    And I love flowers! Every time I enter a house with them I'm immediately x10 happier. Unfortunately I forget about them as soon as I leave, and I always forget to buy them for myself (or convince myself it's not worth the money--wrong, wrong, wrong)! I need to get some for myself soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you buy supermarket flowers and not from a flower shop, you can save some money. Buying an arrangement costs a lot. Some tulips and greens not. And I always tell myself that I spend more money on coffee and those things per week than I spend on flowers, so it is totally in my budget.

      Delete
    2. I've also found that Costco or Sam's flowers are really good quality. Of course you have to buy 3 doz roses at a time or whatever, but they do last and I love having flowers everywhere.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I think flowers can always fit within a budget. Nice comparison to coffee--I always think coffee costs money but then I always tell myself it's worth it because it makes me happier. The same goes with flowers, I think. And Kara I didn't know Costco had flowers! I'll have to check that out.

      Delete