Friday, March 1, 2013

Macaron Making


So I promised to serve you good food if you ever find yourself in my home, in my kitchen. And I stand by that. But I also need to mention the kind of obligation that comes with it. I need you to come over when I make gougères, or macarons, or the doughnuts I am currently dreaming about, to help me eat what I have made and keep me from eating half the batch of macarons in the course of one hour.


If you are a picky, only eating pasta with butter and a little cheese but not the lasagna I have made, or even worse, if you don't like to eat, I am not sure we could be friends.
Not that I could not like you, it is just that I dont understand. At all.
Which reminds me of the boyfriend I once had, who sometimes forgot to eat until dinner came around. (WHAT?) I should have known from the beginning on that this could not turn out well. (As my father likes to say: You cannot trust a person who does not eat breakfast).


I do not have a recipe to share today, I am not enough of an expert on macarons to give advice or modify a recipe. If you want to try making macarons yourself, I have found the collection of links David Lebovitz put together here quite helpful. But I am just happy that this batch of macarons did turn out quite lovely. I still had some crackling and only one half of the macarons did develop feet (the one I let sit on the counter for about an hour), but I can see an improvement from the first batch, which makes me so happy.


4 comments :

  1. Nice! I think your macarons looks beautiful. I've made them a few times in the past, and while they always taste great, they don't look this good. You have such good motivation with these! It must be nice to see them getting better and better. For me, after seeing the beauty that are Katie/butter tree's macarons, I feel like there is no point because I will never achieve that level of expertise. -__-

    PS I agree completely about the trust/breakfast thing. Someone who doesn't eat until dinnertime?? Bright red flags, right there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh mine arent that perfect. and I am truly impressed by Katies template and the perfectly round macarons she makes.
      what recipe did you use when you made them? always the same?

      Delete
    2. Hmm no, the first time I attempted them was a long time ago, back when I first got baking and when I didn't really know what macarons were. I saw them in my Williams-Sonoma Baking book, thought they looked pretty, so I made them. They were awful, haha, but I hardly think I can blame that recipe. Last two times I've made them I've followed a Martha Stewart recipe. They were OK. I'm not sure if I'd follow that recipe again, but next time I make them I certainly hope to read all the tips from Katie and David Lebovitz first. What recipe did you follow?

      Delete
    3. For the chocolate macarons I have made in my first round I used David Lebovitz's recipe. I am not sure about the vanilla ones, I just googled for vanilla macarons recipes.
      I think with the macarons it is important to actually measure everything by weight. I adjusted the second recipe I had to the weight of the egg whites of two eggs. The first time I used two eggs and the exact amounts of sugar/chocolate powder asked for in the recipe.

      Delete