Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Vin d'Orange


I am soo ready for spring. As in, I have been ready for spring for the last month or two but he (she?) decided to take some more time and leave me here in the dead of winter. But the last few days were warmer, I saw the first spring flowers peak out of the cold soil and I actually one day enjoyed lunch outside, though still wrapped up because it is not that warm here. As I write this, though, the temperatures are slowly dropping again, and we are expecting some snow on Thursday and Friday.
The one thing I am sad about saying goodbye to is citrus fruit. (Oh and Avocados. Avocados grow in winter in Spain, apparently). I'd love to bring citrus fruit into spring and summer with me, to hang out with cucumbers and tomatos and eggplant. And to just generally eat on a really hot day. I'd really love that. Since I can't (or techincally I can because I can probably buy oranges all troughout the year but won't since they are from South Africa or Australia then) I decided to preserve some of the last oranges and refashion it into a drink that is ready for spring and summer.


I had Vin d'Orange for the first and only time at Michael's parents' house, probably two years ago. I am not a liquor kind of girl, but this Vin d'Orange with some white wine, or better sparkling wine was just so good. I don't know what kept me from making it, it is really easy to throw together and the result is really delicious. I just hope I have made enough to actually have some leftover for when the days are warmer.


Vin d'Orange

8 oranges, sliced
1 lemon, sliced
350 gram sugar
350 ml vodka (40% alcohol)
1,5 - 2 bottles white wine(750 ml each)

Layer the orange and lemon slices with the sugar in several mason jars (I used three 1 l jars and had some wine leftover). Pour the vodka over the orange slices and fill the jars with the white wine.
Set aside in a cool dark place and shake the jars once a day, for about a week.
Drain the vin'd orange through a sieve lined with cheesecloth and fill it into bottles. Store it in the fridge and use within 6 months.

The vin d'orange is really great over ice, with a few mint leaves thrown in, and I plan to add it to a glass of sparkling wine, soon.

And stay tuned for an idea on what to do with all the lovely leftover orange you have after bottleing the vin d'orange.

1 comment :

  1. Lena, this sounds incredibly refreshing, perfect for summer, as hard to imagine as that is now (snow is forecast for tomorrow here too). I will try to get my act together and make some before all the oranges are gone!

    ReplyDelete