Monday, February 21, 2011

Eggplants Calcutta


I bought a new cookbook a few weeks ago. There is something about cookbooks I just can't resist. I love books with a lot of images in them, mostly because I refer to my cookbooks as source of inspiration and rarely follow a recipe as it is.
My newest addition to my cookbook collection is "World Food Café" by Carolyn and Chris Caldicott. My boyfriend turned vegetarian a few months ago and I needed a cookbook with lots of interesting vegetarian recipes. (Actually I don't think I "needed" one, but hey, I somehow have to justify buying another cookbook, don't I?)

A few days ago I tried their Eggplant Calcutta. It is quite sweet, but the garlic and the cilantro give it a more complex flavor. Adding a lot of garlic is necessary here, without it it would be bland.
I changed a few things, so here is how I did it:



Eggplant Calcutta

1/2 onion
5 cloves of garlic
1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
4 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 teaspoon paprika powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 eggplant, cut in fingersized sticks
1 teaspoon corn starch
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
a handful cilantro
First mix the onion, garlic and chili in a food processor (or cut in really small pieces with a sharp knife). Heat the oil in a skillet, add the onion mix and the two spices (paprika and turmeric). Sauté for a few minutes, then add the eggplant and continue sautéing for about 5 minutes. Mix the corn starch with the balsamic vinegar and water (about 1 dl/3 oz). Add this mix to the skillet, stir well. Then add the sugar and continue to cook until the eggplant is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste and the chopped cilantro. Serve with rice.

Serves 2.

1 comment :

  1. Looks interesting. I have tried egg plant in curries, its great. Your version is a bit different and very interesting

    ReplyDelete