Sunday, March 13, 2011

Quinoa and Spinach Gratin





I decided to use more whole grains and just "whole" food in general. My first attempt at incorporating quinoa into my diet resulted in this Quinoa and Spinach Gratin. I saw a recipe for baked spinach on smitten kitchen just last week and new I had to try it. But as always I changed things up quite a bit.

Quinoa and Spinach Gratin

Ingredients:
200g spinach, washed and destemmed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove of garlic, pressed
salt and pepper
italian herbs, optional
60g quinoa
~35g mozzarella
1 tbsp bread crumbs
1 tbsp ground hazelnuts

Preheat the oven to 180°C (or 350°F). Prepare the quinoa according to the instructions on the package. While it cooks, heat the oil in a skillet, add the garlic and the spinach and let the spinach wilt. Add salt and pepper to taste. I also added a teaspoon dried italian herbs. Mix the cooked quinoa and spinach together and pour the mixture into a small baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella, the bread crumbs and the hazelnuts. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Serves 1.

2 comments :

  1. This looks so good, I love quinoa and spinach! I am definitely bookmarking this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds awesome!! Mine and my husband's favorite vegetable is spinach, and we eat tons of it! I'll have to make this, and am bookmarking it so I don't forget. I can't wait to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete