Sunday, August 28, 2011

Eggplant Love



The eggplant. I don't like its name in English, the German or French "aubergine" sounds a lot nicer and highlights its beautiful color. We never had eggplant at home when I grew up, now I buy lots of them. Eggplants are one of the vegetables I buy out of season. I can live without tomatoes, without asparagus, without strawberries, just about anything, but you just can't replace the eggplant in my kitchen. We like to make a Moroccan tajine with chickpeas and eggplant here (recipe coming soon) and lately we began roasting them in the oven. The following is not a real recipe. But we already had it several times this year and it is just delicious.



Baked Eggplant
Cut one eggplant in slices, drizzle a little bit of olive oil on them, salt and pepper,and sprinkle some cheese on top. We used an aged Swiss mountain cheese, this cheese has a strong flavor, but I imagine any aged cheese works well.
Bake in the oven at 200°C until the eggplant is wrinkly and the cheese melted and golden. (I would guess 20 minutes now, but I normally cook without watching the time.)
We had them with some roasted potatoes with basil and fresh peas sautéed with a little garlic and butter.

No comments :

Post a Comment