Sunday, September 11, 2011

Eggplant Antipasto


I told you, eggplants have a special place in my heart. Right next to the one for Goat's cheese. When I saw the recipe for a eggplant antipasto on Delicious Days, I put it in my Tapas recipe folder and knew I wanted to make it soon.
Yesterday I did not have to work. I had all morning to myself, and I spent it in the kitchen. The first thing I made, was a plum butter, after having been inspired by Deb. Then I made this easy antipasto. I just knew it had to be perfect. And it is. It's garlicky, lemony, a bit spicy. The herbs add lots of flavor, and I just love the mix of textures: The soft flesh of the eggplant and it's leathery skin. I let them marinate for the whole day and brought them to a party in the evening. They were gone in a very short amount of time.



Eggplant Antipasto
Recipe from Ottolenghi - The cookbook, via Delicious Days

Ingredients:
4 medium sized eggplants (look for straighter ones, they are easier to cut)
olive oil
salt and pepper

6 tablespoons olive oil
6 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 chili
4 tablespoons herbs (I used a mix of parsley, basil and tarragon)
3-4 cloves of garlic
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 200°C. Cut off the top of the eggplants, cut them in half and slice them into 6-8 wedges, depending on their size. Brush the wedges with olive oil (generously), place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 20-25 minutes. They should be soft, but not falling off the skin.

In the meantime, prepare the marinade: Mix the olive oil and the lemon juice in a big enough bowl. Chop the garlic, the herbs and the chili really finely and add in to mixing bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add in the still hot eggplant wedges, and mix gently. This is where you have to eat all the wedges that got too soft (I do what I have to do). Let it sit and marinate for at least one hour. Serve at room temperature, not cooled. They are great on toasted bread, or just straight from the mixing bowl.

No comments :

Post a Comment