Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Heidi's Feisty Green Beans


I love Heidi Swanson from 101cookbooks.com. I have tried out quite a few recipes she posted on her blog and I think I could cook everything on it and it would be a hit. I love her lemony chickpea stir-fry, I have made it several times already, and I don't usually cook the same things over and over again. A few months ago, I made this recipe for green beans and used Halloumi instead of the tofu in it. My boyfriend ate the leftovers cold and loved it, but I knew I had to make it again. I changed a few minor things, but basically it's the same recipe. It is somewhat difficult to describe the flavor of this dish, it definitely has Indian flavors from all the spices, but the wine doesn't quite fit into the Indian label. I served it with Basmati rice, sprinkled with some of the toasted almonds. I will be making this again, once everything is cut, toasted, chopped, etc, the preparation is really easy.


Heidi's Feisty Green Beans
adapted from 101cookbooks.com

Ingredients:
half a pound green beans
30g golden raisins
1 + 1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 bay leaves
50 ml rosé wine
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
red pepper flakes (I used dried habanero chilies, a pinch only and it was quite hot, but use more if your red pepper flakes are not as hot)
150g paneer, cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon butter
1 heaping tablespoon sour cream
10g sliced almonds, toasted
one handful of finely chopped fresh cilantro
salt and pepper

Cut the green beans into slices. Heat a pot of salted water and cook the beans for about a minute, drain and rinse well with cold water. Set aside.

Cover the raisins with water, let sit for 10 minutes or so.

Heat the olive oil in a pan, add in the paneer and sauté for a few minutes until it is golden brown on most sides. Set aside, rinse the pan and put it back on the burner. Heat the other tablespoon of olive oil, add the chopped garlic, onion and the bay leaves, sauté for a minute or two, until the onion is translucent. Add the wine and let it cook until it is mostly evaporated. Add in the raisins, the spices, the salt and the red pepper flakes. Cook for another minute or two. Stir in the paneer, the butter and the green beans. Let it heat trough. Stir in most of the cilantro and add salt and pepper to taste. Top with the almonds and some cilantro.

Serves 2-3.

2 comments :