Saturday, February 11, 2012

Buckwheat Pasta with Mushrooms and Watercress


I'm away on holidays when this post is published. My boyfriend and I, we're off to Andalusia, Spain for almost two weeks. I'll take my laptop with me, but I'm not sure whether I'll be able to post anything new while were away.
I made this dish with the homemade pasta I posted earlier this week. We loved it, the buckwheat goes really well with the mushrooms. Oh, and I'm just slightly obsessed with buckwheat flour lately.
For this pasta dish you saute onions, lots of mushrooms, flavor it with some wine and a few herbs. Then you throw the mushroom sauce with the cooked pasta and a handful of watercress. Love it, really simple but so fancy. (Not so simple if you make the pasta, too, though.)



Buckwheat Pasta with Mushrooms and Watercress

Ingredients:
Buckwheat Pasta
1-2 tbsp olive oil or clarified butter 
1 onion
~ pound of mushrooms, depending on the variety. I used a mix of cremini mushrooms and oyster mushrooms, the oyster mushrooms lose their shape a lot, but if you only use creminis, you could use less.
2 tbsp dried sage leaves, crumbled
1 tsp chopped rosemary
1 tsp thyme
1 dl wine (or more), whatever you have on hand, I used red wine, but white would look better
zest of half a lemon
salt and pepper
2 handfuls watercress
some parmesan or pecorino

Heat a big pot of salt water for the pasta. Cook the pasta according to instruction on package, or about 5 minutes for fresh. Time it so that the pasta is cooked and the sauce is more or less ready. Chop the onion, and cut the mushrooms into slices. Heat the oil on medium heat in a big enough heavy skillet. Add the onions and saute until translucent, add in the mushrooms and saute until they get soft. Add the herbs, let saute for another one or two minutes, then add the wine. Let it cook down a bit, then add more wine if necessary, the lemon zest and salt and pepper to taste. Throw in the cooked and drained pasta, combine. To serve, sprinkle a handful of watercress on top of each plate. Grate some cheese on top.


1 comment :

  1. Oh, Spain! It's probably the place I want to visit most in the world. I hope you have a lovely time!
    The pasta sounds great. Watercress is under-appreciated. I have yet to make buckwheat pasta, but it's on my list of things to do...

    ReplyDelete