Monday, February 6, 2012

Homemade Buckwheat Pasta




I made pasta the other day, as part of my quest to make more of my own food. Today I want to share the recipe for the pasta itself, and share how I made it. I even refrained from using the pasta machine I actually have stolen borrowed from my parents. We used to make pasta a few times a year on a weekend, but it's been quite a while without. But making them all by myself, sweating in the process, getting quite a workout with all the kneading and rolling is my definition of fun, and it also ensures that everyone can do it. Yes, you can, too. It's simple, a bit time consuming, but simple. And fun, if you are like me. So let's start.





Homemade Buckwheat Pasta with Black Pepper

Ingredients:
250g all-purpose flour
250g buckwheat flour
5 eggs
2 tsp black pepper

In a mixing bowl, add the two kinds of flour and mix well. Make a well in the middle and add the eggs. Begin stirring in the middle, trying to mix the eggs first, then adding more flour as you go. When it starts looking half mixed, add the pepper and start mixing using your hands. When you are able to form a ball out of the dough, take it out of the bowl and start kneading the dough on a flat surface. Keep kneading for at least 10 minutes, more doesn't hurt. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let relax in the fridge for at least an hour.
Take the dough out of the fridge, it should be rather silky (less than regular pasta dough, though, because of the buckwheat flour). Prepare a working surface with some all-purpose flour handy, a knife to cut the pasta and a baking tray to store it. You'll also need a rolling pin. You could use your pasta machine if you happen to have one.
Cut the dough in quarters, take one out and cover the rest in the plastic wrap again. Sprinkle some flour on the working surface and on the piece of dough. Roll it out, sprinkling some flour on top as needed, until it is between 1 and 2 mm thin. Sprinkle some more flour on top, then roll it up, just as I did (it picture 2). Cut the roll into strips, and then either hang them somewhere to dry, or make loose nests like I did. (see picture 4).
To cook them: Bring enough salted water to a boil, cook the pasta for about 5 minutes (or probably more if you let them dry, I usually just test them often enough).

I'll be back soon to share what I did with the pasta.

Serves 4.

3 comments :

  1. Your noodles look lovely! I've tried making pasta by hand enough times to know that I'm only capable of making ragged, ugly noodles. Luckily, my boyfriend got my a machine for my birthday last year. I'll see if I can track down some buckwheat flour tomorrow. I've never made pasta with any whole grains before...I'm really excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first try with whole grains as well, and luckyly they turned out really well. I just made sure to use a regular flour with it, and to knead it long enough to activate the gluten.
      Did you have any luck tracking down some buckwheat flour? Please let me know if you give them a try!

      Delete
  2. They were all out at the store, so I'll have to check again next week.

    ReplyDelete