Monday, April 23, 2012

Garlic and Herb Pull Apart Bread


I noticed a while ago that even though I called this blog Mrs. Garlic Head, I don't really have any recipes on here that reflect my love for garlic. What a shame! I have been toying with the idea of making a garlic pull apart bread after I saw the cinnamon pull apart bread on Joy the Baker. The idea is genius, and so much fun. This weeks recipe for the food matters project gave me just the motivation to give it a go that I needed.

And it turned out really well. It was fun to make and fun to eat, the only thing I would change next time was to make it for company, not just myself. And I think I want to share some garlicky recipes with you, in the near future. I really need to live up to my name.



Garlic and Herb Pull Apart Bread
Bread recipe from Mark Bittman, The Food Matters Cookbook. Just like every monday, please check out what the others came up with this week over here.


 2 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour, plus more for shaping
2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. instant yeast

1-2 heads of garlic (I used two smaller ones)
olive oil
herbs (I used rosemary), about 1/2 teaspoon
some chili flakes, according to taste
salt and pepper

 For the bread, please follow the instructions Melissa describes in this post, the method for the mostly whole wheat baguette. While you let the dough rise for the initial two hours, make the garlic confit.

Peel all the garlic cloves, add them into your smallest saucepan, cover them with olive oil and let simmer until soft, about 15 minutes. Put the garlic cloves into a small bowl and mash them with a fork. Add about 3 tbsp of the olive oil you cooked the garlic in, the herbs, chili and salt and pepper to taste.

Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
Lightly flour a clean surface and roll out the dough into a rectangle. Cut it into strips that have about the same width as the bottom of the loaf pan. Cut these strips into squares that fit nicely into the loaf pan. Spread eafch of these squares with a bit of the garlic confit and place them in the pan. Repeat until the pan is full.

Let the dough rest for 30 minutes, in the meantime preheat the oven to 400°F. Bake the bread for about 30 minutes.

13 comments :

  1. Great idea! That looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful, Lena! I've seen this type of bread on joy the baker and smitten kitchen and was always curious about it. I never knew how "good" it really would be though, haha, so I'm glad it got positive reviews from you. It really does seem like a good thing to have around for company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really fun to make and eat, though you really have to eat it when it is still warm. Eating the leftovers the next day was a bit disappointing.

      Delete
  3. YUM! I love the idea of a pull-apart bread! I'm going to have to try this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! I'm going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pull apart bread! How awesome is this?!?! I am totally doing this next time I bake a bread. It's like sliced bread without slicing the bread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs. Garlic Head, will you come over for our next supper club and make this bread? This looks de-li-cious! I'll definitely attempt to make this on my own...although this looks way more intimidating than my bread loaf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is not much more difficult than making a regular loaf of bread. Just roll it out, cut it into pieces and stack those on top of each other.
      And I'd love to come to your supper club and make this bread. I want to have a supper club, too, sounds like so much fun.

      Delete
  7. This is awesome! A healthy style pull apart bread. I am soooooo making this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know that any bread dough could be made into pull-apart bread! Thanks for the revelation, Lena. Also, I think my stomach growled when you were talking about simmering the garlic and herbs in olive oil... yum.

    ReplyDelete