Friday, April 27, 2012

Pad Thai Salad



We all have those stories that our parents like to tell about us. You have to know those, they are told to people entering the family, like boyfriends, the new husband of the aunt, or maybe a new friend, too. One thing about me that my mother loves to share is my early love for travelling.
Apparently, when I was 2 (or 3, I have heard it many times but still don't remember), I went to my grandmother on "holidays", and unlike other children who get homesick and want to see their mothers, I loved being there, and when it was time to go home, I am said to have called my parents (with help, obviously) and asked whether I could stay longer.

What can I say, it is still the same today. I am always planning the next trip, and more than that, probably also smaller trips in between and the next bigger trip is being discussed. Despite all this, I have never travelled outside of Europe so far. There were many plans to do so, but somehow France, Ireland or Spain made it to the top of the list. Maybe next year I'll make it to another continent for the first time.

I have found that this also influences my cooking, or rather my confidence in labeling a certain dish "Indian" or "Vietnamese". The Indian food I had in my life was cooked in European kitchens, and was adapted to European tastes. And then come the cuisines that are not so common in Europe as in the US. I have been very careful to not cook something and then label it "Mexican", because really, the only Mexican food you can buy here are these taco kits. Nevertheless, I still feel myself in need of labelling things - Arugula, Carrot, Asparagus, Peanut Salad with Lime, Soy Sauce and Cilantro dressing just does not sound too great. So let's call this a Pad Thai Salad, even though I know this is not the real thing.



Pad Thai Salad
Adapted from a recipe in Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskovitz.


handful arugula
1 carrot, cut into julienne
1 handful asparagus, cut into thin slices or shaved
1 tbsp peanuts, roasted

juice of 1/2 lime
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp cilantro (I used frozen, if you use fresh I think it is probably better to add the cilantro directly to the salad, not into the dressing)
1 tsp soy sauce

Layer the vegetables in a bowl, sprinkle the peanuts over the top. Mix the dressing. Pour over the salad and enjoy.

Serves 1.

2 comments :

  1. Wow! This looks so delicious. I love the flavors of pad thai but I don't usually eat it (who wants 2000 calories worth of heavy noodles for their dinner?) But this is something I could eat every day probably without thinking twice. I'm going to try out some version of this soon.

    Haha and I'm like you about the travelling thing. When I spent three weeks with my grandparents in california the summer of 2nd grade, by the time I got back I forgot what my mom looked liked! :o I know I am a terrible daughter, but I think I just adapt quickly to places... haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, it is probably very difficult for parents having a kid who doesn't want to come back home. But having a kid who doesnt want to leave is probably difficult, too.
      If you try out something similar, please let me know what you think of it!

      Delete