Monday, May 14, 2012

Cucumber Jalapeño Bruschetta


When I saw that this weeks pick for the Food Matters Project was Bruschetta I was quite happy. In these days at the end of the semester I often rely on bruschetta/crostini/tartines (or whatever you want to call them) for a quick lunch or dinner. And amidst the chaos inherent to the end of semester (please tell me it is normal to have the semester end in a bit of stress and chaos) I also plan to make a few things I have on my DIY pinterest board.
I have been spending way to much time online, unproductive time online, that I would rather spend creating stuff. I dont know yet if this will influence my blogging, I am thinking about sharing some of the projects I want to make.
But back to the bruschetta. I had a cucumber left from making sushi and the jalapeños from the salsa last week so I decided to use these for my bruschetta. Cucumbers are not in season, but I find them to have more or less the same taste throughout the year so once in a while I buy one.



Cucumber Jalapeño Bruschetta
Go check out all the other versions over here, I bet there is inspiration for your next lunch.


2 slices of bread (I used a soda bread, and I would recommend using one, the taste is really different from regular bread and it goes really well with the cucumber, go here if you need a recipe)
olive oil
1 tbsp grated parmesan

1/2 jalapeño, deseeded
a small piece of a leek
~a 10cm long piece cucumber
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
Drizzle some olive oil on the slices of bread then sprinkle with the parmesan.

Cut the cucumber into dices, chop the leeks and the jalapeño and add it all to a small mixing bowl. Season to taste.
Bake the slices of bread in the upper part of the oven until the cheese starts melting and the bread browns a bit.
Spoon the cucumber mix on top of the slices and enjoy.

Serves 1.

7 comments :

  1. Wow that is really unique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool and spicy together... i like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a great combo- cool cucumber and spice jalapeno, I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My finance would love this- since there is a jalapeno here! I'll have to give this a try- looks delicious and great vibrant green!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds really refreshing. I could see this combo as a great happy hour snack during hot, muggy summer evenings.

    ReplyDelete