Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Warm Moroccan Spiced Broccoli Orzo Salad


I did not actually plan on posting today's lunch until I tried my first bite. I am at home, writing an outline for my bachelor thesis, sanding the sides of my bed to later paint them and preparing for tomorrows classes. I only planned on making a quick lunch, using what I have.
A look in the fridge told me that I really needed to use this broccoli that I got in my csa last week (or was it the week before that? I really don't know). A quick search on 101cookbooks provided me with an idea for the broccoli: Broccoli Orzo salad. I mostly follow the recipe when it came to the main ingredients but decided to add some Moroccan spices. Or what I think are Moroccan spices, I really am not an expert on Moroccan cooking. Harissa, a little cinnamon and some preserved lemon and I am in heaven.
I have to keep this short, should be back to work by now.



Warm Moroccan Spiced Broccoli Orzo Salad
Adapted from this Orzo Super Salad on 101cookbooks.

1 cup dried orzo pasta
1 head of broccoli
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 lemon
salt

1/2 cucumber
100g feta, crumbled
small handful sliced almonds, toasted
1/2 lemon, juice
1/4 tsp harissa (or according to taste, it wasnt really spicy with the amount I used, but I guess harissa varies in spiciness).
1/8 of a preserved lemon

Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Cut the broccoli into small florets, add them to an oven proof baking dish, add the olive oil, a sprinkle of salt and mix well to coat the broccoli. Cut the 1/2 lemon into quarters and stick them between the broccoli florets. Roast for about 15-20 minutes.

In the meantime cook the orzo according to the instructions on the package. Cut the cucumber into small dices. Mix the lemon juice with the harissa. Finely dice the preserved lemon.
Drain the orzo and add it in to the serving bowl. (Toast the almonds on the same heater that you just finished cooking the orzo on now)
Stir in the lemon harissa dressing. Remove the broccoli from the oven and mix it with the orzo. Mix in the preserved lemon. Sprinkle cucumber and feta on top and finish with the almonds.

Serves 4

1 comment :

  1. I love when that happens, don't you? When you have okay, run-of-the-mill expectations about something and it ends up surprising you with how delicious it is. This does look great, I definitely love the Moroccan vibe of it. I love when something can taste interestingly complex and light at the same time, and this looks like just that. Good luck with thesis (!)

    ReplyDelete