Monday, June 4, 2012

Savory Asparagus Crisp - Recipe Fail


This weekend I saw my brother setting up his first home outside of our parents' house. I went back home and helped putting together some of the ikea furniture he bought, and smiled when he remarked: I didn't know I'd need so many things. My little brother is growing up. I am looking forward to watching him find his place in a new surrounding.


There are only two of us at home now. The house is going to be a little quieter now. My brother is not the easiest person to live with, but I know he will be missed nonetheless.


I took the first photo in the apartment that will be my home in a little less than a month. The morning light is beautiful. And I adore the large windows. I am looking forward to living there, and to cook and take photos and blog.



Savory Asparagus Crisp
This weeks adaptation of the savory tomato crisp did not go too well for me. I wont go into detail on what I topped my asparagus with. The crispy topping just did not work well on the asparagus.
There were a few things wrong:
1. Asparagus does not release any liquid when cooked
2. This resulted in a really really dry crisp.
3. The asparagus to crisp ratio was off.

What I'd do differently next time (because I think topping asparagus with a little something crispy still sounds like a great idea):
Roast the whole asparagus with a litte olive oil and salt in the oven.
Prepare something similar to Italian pangrattato: bread crumbs, garlic, lemon zest, salt and pepper, and stir fry this in a skillet.
Sprinkle only a little of this pangrattato over the roasted asparagus. Serve with lemony yogurt.

Please check out the versions that turned out great over here.

6 comments :

  1. It sounds like it is worth delving deeper into making that asparagus crisp. I was thinking of cauliflower but that probably would not work well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might be moving to a new apartment too and was stoked when I went and visited and saw how much natural light comes in through the living room/kitchen! Love the use of asparagus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes you have to make mistakes to end up with a stellar dish. The changes you suggest sound like good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trial and error, best way to learn in the kitchen! Best of luck moving into your new place, can't wait to read about the new place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you posted your trial and error too Lena, it reminds us you're human ;) I love asparagus in anything so your idea of something crunchy over top sounds great to me - purposefully made crispy cheese perhaps?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's too bad it didn't turn out—sounds like you had a good idea, though! If you're still in the mood for asparagus, I posted a fail-proof baked asparagus frittata not too long ago.

    ReplyDelete