Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Rye Tea Sandwiches with Avocado-Wasabi Salsa and Cucumber

(I wrote this a few days ago, but did not have time to make these sandwiches before today, as I imagined last week.)
When this post is published I will already have settled into my new home, not that far away from my old, but nevertheless in a very different life. Moving in with my boyfriend has been a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions. While I am really happy about getting to know him better, about being closer, about taking this leap, I know it is also going to be a challenge, and for the past few weeks we both were a bit scared, too. Scared because we don't know how this is going to turn out, if our ways of seing the world really are going to fit together.

It is difficult to acknowledge these feelings when it all is supposed to be unicorns and rainbows. But I guess that is just normal for any big change in life, they are happy events, but also scary. I know that if I'm ever going to have kids, I will feel the same. Big move. Marriage.
In the next few weeks we are going to ease into this thing, into living together. And I am looking forward to it. These are good changes, and I think I'll especially enjoy not having to carry around fresh/worn underwear all the time, while moving between his home and mine.
This weeks pick for the Food Matters Project was for Updated Tea Sandwiches, and I think this recipe comes at the perfect time, being so simple. After days of packing and now unpacking, and eating out, I wanted to ease back into the kitchen and start cooking in this new environment.




Rye Tea Sandwiches with Avocado-Wasabi Salsa and Cucumber
I used a German style pumpernickel rye bread for these tea sandwiches, I guess regular sandwich bread would work well, too.
I am a day late, but this is my adaptation of the Food Matters Project recipe pick this week. Please check out all the other creations over here,  and all the original ideas on Aura's blog.

per sandwich:
2 slices pumpernickel
1/4 avocado
wasabi, to taste
a sprinkle of salt
a little lemon juice
a few slices of cucumber
greens, I used part of one leave of chard, but use whatever greens you have on hand

Carefully remove the slices of pumpernickel from the package, they break easily.
With a fork, mash the avocado, mix as much wasabi as you like, add a sprinkle of salt and a little lemon juice. Spread half of the avocado mix on one pumpernickel, top with one layer of each cucumber and chard. Spread the rest of the salsa on the second  slice of bread and press it lightly onto the chard. Cut in half and serve.

Variation: Use radish instead of cucumber and chard.

3 comments :

  1. I love the bread that you used! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lena, I hope that things work out for you and your boyfriend. It's a big step, but I think you'll have loads of fun too.

    I really like the idea of having an avocado and radish sandwich right now--sounds like a nice alternative to radishes and butter on toast, and perfect for a hot day. I have a few radishes that need pulling in my garden. I think I'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete