Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Travelling France


If you ever travel to France, and plan on seeing more of the country than just Paris, might I humbly suggest you do so by bicycle?  This summer, for the fourth time in total, we took our bicycles on to a train and we were off to France. So let me make my point.

France is beautiful. I mean it really is. And on a bicycle you slow down enough to be able to really appreciate its beauty, but still get to see different parts of a region in a relatively short amount of time.
When you spend more than half the day pedaling, you can eat as much as you want. Croissants for breakfast? Sure! Lots of cheese and baguette for lunch? Why not! And a lovely dinner with a glass or two, three of wine? A must. And to snack on in between of meals, there is a huge variety of fruit available in the supermarkets.

I already mentioned food and wine, but what we always look forward to when travelling to France is the cidre, the French cider. I am completely ignorant as to how different ciders are produced,  but the French cider is much more natural tasting than the German or English cider I know.
And did I mention you can eat as much as you want?

Do you see what I mean? Travelling France with the license to eat as much as you want? Bliss for a foodie.

Expect for one thing. The French seem to be oblivious to the concept of a vegetarian meal. Just look at a menu, they go from salads directly to meat, fish and finish with desserts. If you are not vegetarian, no problem. Go eat yourself happy, that's what we did the first year we travelled France by bike. But the last two years, our options were limited.
If you do want to hear our recommendations on eating in France as a vegetarian, please let me know. I'd be happy to share.

The pictures of this post were taken during our travels to France this and last summer. This summer we were in the Burgundy region, last year we started in Brittany, followed to coat line to the Loire and then followed the Loire up to Tours. And I'd like to excuse my lack of food photos from these travels. It's just that I usually was too hungry to take pictures of my food before eating.

No comments :

Post a Comment