Friday, October 12, 2012

Walnut "Meat"balls


Hi friends, it has been quiet around here for a little more than a month now, but I am back now, and have lots to share with you from my trip through Europe and Turkey.
If you wish, I can talk about our trip later, but for now, I am just happy to be back. And to be sharing a few of my instagram pictures from the trip.
This sounds so ungrateful, happy to be back, after such a great trip, seeing such an interesting country, and what can I say except that I am very grateful, and I enjoyed this trip a lot. And eventhough I am not one to get homesick, there are certain things I miss once I have been without a home for a while.


I think it is very human to seek the comfort of familiarity. We are creatures of comfort, and a month stuffed with new impressions and changing beds offers little space to just be.

So I loved eating out, trying all the Turkish food we did, and I did love the meze, but still, I really missed cooking. The only cooking we did in the whole month was just in the beginning, when we made a Greek salad in our hostel in Istanbul. And I am so happy to be able to cook again. To be making things, not just consuming. And I think I'll share some Turkish recipes in the future, but for the past week I craved something different.

These walnut balls are the first things I cooked after coming home that I think is worthy of sharing.
A while ago I turned from almost vegetarian to vegetarian for real, and ever since I feel the need to come up with recipes for things I no longer want to cook and eat.
I did not loads of meatballs before becoming vegetarian. When we both ate meat, my boyfriend and I made Moroccan inspired meatballs once or twice, with cinnamon and dates. I really loved those. But other than that, I dont have many fond memories attached to the consumation of meatballs, but I still do miss them. I miss the possibility of making meatballs when I want to.

This is where these walnut balls come in. I looked at a few recipes for vegetarian meatballs over the last weeks and months, and using nuts in them stuck with me. I kept the flavoring pretty simple this time, some mustard and parsley, a little paprika, salt and pepper. I plan to make them again, and then follow my memories of the Moroccan meatballs we made quite a while ago.



Walnut "Meat"balls

50g walnuts
100g cooked rice
30g dried mushrooms (I used a mix of mu-err and porcini), soaked in water
1 tsp marjoram, or oregano
1 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp whole grain mustard
a small handful parsley
3 tbsp quick cooking polenta (dry, not cooked, or substitute breadcrumbs)

Making these is really easy, measure out all the ingredients, add everything except the polento into a food processor and process until the mixture is not smooth but has the texture of coarse sand. Stir in the polenta using a spoon.
Form the mixture into little balls, and pan-fry them in a little oil until they are crispy on all sides.

Makes around 15 small balls.

No comments :

Post a Comment