Thursday, November 1, 2012

Jasmine Tea Muffins with White Chocolate


For the last few days I felt like I needed to unplug in the evening. When I lived alone, I did not mind spending the evening on the computer, being online and reading blog posts, but lately, with my boyfriend in the other room, the door half closed, it felt wrong. It felt so disconnected. So instead we went on a walk through the snow that fell last weekend. We watched a movie we wanted to see for quite some time. We sat in the kitchen and read. It felt right, being closer physically and emotionally.
I am still figuring out when to fit in blogging and reading now, perhaps lugging my laptop into the kitchen or his room when I do, to at least be less isolated.
Because while I feel the need to connect in real life, I also want to be here, to read what other bloggers create, to have some place to share what is on my mind and on my plate.


For now, let me share an adaption of one of the recipes I posted here about a year ago. I loved the Jasmine Tea Muffins I made then, but never tried them in a normal size version and so never updated the post from back then.
I adapted the recipe slightly, adding in a little xanthan gum since I usually find eggless muffins not quite sturdy enough. I happen to have it at home, but I guess it is not an ingredient you might have on hand, so you can just leave it out, too.



Jasmine Tea Muffins with White Chocolate

120g mashed banana
140ml soy milk, or any other milk you have on hand
70ml canola oil
160g all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp Jasmine tea, ground with mortar and pestle
1/4 tsp salt
75 g sugar
80 g white chocolate, chopped


Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.. Line the muffin pan with liners.
Grind the Jasmine tea using a mortar and pestle, or crush them between your fingers.
Beat together the wet ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add the flour, salt, sugar, jasmine, baking powder and soda, and the xanthan gum if using, into the bowl with the wet ingredients. Mix until the batter is uniform. Stir in the white chocolate.
Spoon the batter into the muffin pan. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a tester inserted comes out clean.

Makes 10.

For a printable version, click here

5 comments :

  1. Hmmm, interesting about how moving in with your boyfriend has changed your habits so much. I guess it makes sense-- every time my boyfriend visits me for the weekend I heavily neglect the internet (and all the blogs, tweets, pins, etc), and opt for walks with Waylon, going to a bookstore, even just reading a book next to him. There's something really nice about disconnecting and being close with someone, or people in general. There must be a balance somewhere in there, though.

    And lovely muffins! I've been seeing tea-flavored things quite a lot lately, but I have yet to experiment with that myself. It looks so fun to make and try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I did it before, too. And I am still trying to find this new balance of being together but keeping my own space. It's complicated, but so important.

      Delete
  2. Wow,
    These muffins are amazing! Would love to eat some now, as I sip my tea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I know what you mean, Lena. Octavian and I spend most of the day working at home, so we're always in the same or adjacent rooms, but that isn't exactly spending time together (and neither is it if I'm blogging at my computer while Octavian is reading on his). But because we're at home, we at least eat most of our meals together and cook together on most evenings before ending up in front of the TV at night, too tired to do much else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It can be hard to find a good balance with life and blogging. I know sometimes I spend time on the computer that I could be spending with my husband and I feel bad about it too!

    Jasmine tea is one of my favorites--it's so fragrant and delicate (if that makes any sense?!). Adding that flavor to muffins is a wonderful idea. They look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete