Sunday, May 29, 2011

Beets and Tomato Tarte Flambee

 My boyfriend and I went on a short trip with our bikes over easter. We started in Basel (Switzerland) and followed the Rhine on the French side to Colmar and Strassbourg. Both towns were built around the river, loved that. In the first picture you can see Strassbourg, in the next: me in front of a smaller canal we followed for some time.
 Typical for this region (the Alsace) ist, among other things, the Tarte Flambee. The original version consists of a thin crust, topped with Creme Fraiche, onions and bacon. We actually had one in Colmar (the black and white picture) but the vegetarian option (for my boyfriend) was onion and cheese, nothing else.
After I came home I had a rather Italian inspired Tarte Flambee at a friends house, and this is what I came up with today.


Beets and Tomato Tarte Flambee

1 rectangular or round crust for Tarte Flambee (if you can't find it pre-made you could follow this recipe. I have never made the dough myself though)
100g Creme Fraiche
1 small beet, peeled, sliced and roasted (I roasted more than one yesterday. If that sounds like too much work, just use more dried tomatos)
1 green onion, sliced (only use a bit of the green parts, not the whole)
3-4 dried tomatoes, sliced
a handful cherry tomatoes, cut in quarters (I used 5 or 6)
hard cheese (like Parmesan)
Basil, rosemary or any other herbs you like
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 230°C (which should be around 450°F). Roll out the crust and place it on a baking sheet. Slather the Creme Fraiche on the crust, (you don't want to use less Creme Fraiche than mentioned, it dries out if it is spread too thinly) and top it with the onion, beets and both types of tomatoes. Use a vegetable peeler to shave off thin cheese slices. Spread them on top of the other toppings. Bake it for 10-15 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the cheese has melted. Take it out of the oven and add some basil and rosemary on top. Serve with a salad on the side.
Serves 2-3.

No comments :

Post a Comment