Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Marinated Strawberries

I bought fresh strawberries last week, and did not want to just eat them plain as I usually do. I created this one evening and made it several times since. It is really simple, the hardest part is waiting 15 minutes for the strawberries to marinate.



Marinated Strawberries
Ingredients:
500g fresh strawberries
1 tablespoon sugar, I used a natural cane sugar that has a caramel-like flavor.
1/2 lemon, juice and zest
a few leaves basil and mint (I used red basil here, it looks lovely, but if you don't have it on hand you can definitely use regular basil)

Wash the strawberries, remove the stems and cut them in halves or quarters, depending on the size. Put them in a bowl, sprinkle the sugar over them, add the lemon juice and the zest. Mix gently. Cut basil and mint into fine strips, I use scissors, that works just fine. Mix again, let sit for at least 15 minutes up to half a day (in the fridge).

Serves 4.

1 comment :

  1. This sounds wonderful. Basil and strawberries together is such a unique combination!

    P.S. Thank you for your comments!

    ReplyDelete