Sunday, June 24, 2012

Strawberry Peach Scones


My little sister is on her way to visit me, to help me pack my life together and move and just spend the day together.
It's a funny thing, having brothers and sisters. I am the oldest of four, two boy and two girls, just as if my parents had perfectly planned it; each child three years after the one that came before.
As I grew up I had lots of fights with my brother, we hit each other hard and fought over toys, until we moved and we got rooms of our own, with enough space between us to live without fighting. Only recently have we become closer again, and only now have I found the unique quality that is in the friendship between brothers and sisters.
Seeing them grow from the kids they once were into the persons they are now is truly amazing, I can only imagine how this must feel for a mother, not just a sister.

So to get to spend time with my sister today is great, and in between packing and decluttering I found time to make these scones for us to eat while we paint my bed.
I have seen different recipes for scones with summer fruit in them recently, and took a few ideas I saw and combined them in this recipe.
Ever since I spent time in Ireland (Oh Galway I miss you) I have loved scones. Scones for me equate calm and fun times, reflecting the time I had in Galway. Mixing in summer fruit makes them even better, though. Scones can be a bit dry when not totally fresh, juicy fruit packed in the middle can fix this easily.
These scones were really easy to throw together, the only flaw of baked goods in summer is the heat the oven generates. They are worth it, though.



Strawberry Peach Scones
Adapted from the Raspberry Mega Scones recipe on 101cookbooks


240g all purpose flour
1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter
75g sugar
1/2 cup milk

1 peach
3-4 strawberries
Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Add in the (cold) butter and either crumble it between your fingers until it resembles a coarse meal or give it a few pulses in food processor.
Mix in the milk until the dough forms, don't overmix. Add a bit more milk if the dough seems to dry.
Cut the peach and the strawberries into slices. To make the scones I layered a thin layer of dough on the parchment paper, topped it with 2 slices of peach and about 2 slices of strawberry and layered some more dough on top. (My dough was rather wet, so that is what worked for me)
Bake for about 15 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the fruit juicy. (And don't be like me and overbake them, I kept them in 20 minutes, while I should have taken them out after 15. Learn from me, see pics for evidence of my overbaking)

Makes 6.

2 comments :

  1. I'm an only child, so I don't really have a sense of what it would be like to have siblings...but from what you've said, it sounds like it would be nice. I'm sure you make a great older sister. :)

    I don't think I've ever made scones with fresh fruit in them, but it does sound like a great way to keep them moist! I'll have to see just how hot it is the next time I get fresh fruit from the market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I come from a family of four children too, except each of us are perfectly two years apart and my twin sister and I are the youngest. It's funny, I think now that us are moving away and growing into adults, I find myself much closer with my twin sister and brother, but farther away from my older sister. I can't imagine being the oldest! But I suppose it'd be fun to see the youngest ones grow up. :)

    And just like Katie, I've never made scones with fresh fruit in them either. I've been wanting to try blueberry scones though. Usually I'm just lazy and end up making shortcakes, and stuff them with fruit after they're baked, haha. I like the look of these though.

    ReplyDelete